U is for Unbelieving Wife.
Scripture Reference:1 Corinthians 7:12, 14
12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her.
14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband.
1 Peter 3:7
Husbands, in the same way (in the previous verses he was referring to women with unbelieving husbands) be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
No specific name is given because Paul and Peter are referring to an unbelieving wife of any Christian husband.
Interesting Facts about an Unbelieving Wife:
- Paul gives explicit instructions to the unbelieving wife's husband to stay married to them if the unbelieving wife consents to staying married.
- An unbelieving wife is made holy (shares in the blessings of God) through her believing husband as he is blessed of God.
- She is under the influence of God's work by the witness (and Godly love) of her husband's life.
What We Can Learn to Reach an Unbelieving Wife:
- Don't ever give up praying for the salvation of a friend who is an unbelieving wife.
- Be a godly influence in the life of an unbelieving wife.
- Encourage the marriage relationship where there is an unbelieving wife.
I'll note my observations of three attitudes Peter references in verse 7 that husbands are to have toward their unbelieving wife:
- Consideration (Be considerate with your wife...be sensitive to her needs and feelings which includes her intimate desires.)
- Chivalry (Being physically weaker than man, protect her as the stronger vessel. Provide for her.)
- Companionship (The unbelieving wife is an heir of the gracious gift of marriage ordained by God. This calls for friendship and fellowship in the marriage relationship.)
It's hard to believe this #abcblogging challenge from my friend, Marcy at Ben and Me is almost at an end. Thanks for taking the journey with me! Find all of my posts in this series on my Women of the Bible page.
Walking in His Grace,
Click on the image below to read more posts from others who are Blogging through the Alphabet!