M is for Martha.
Scripture Reference:Luke 10:38-42 and John 11; 12:1-3
Meaning of Name:Lady
Family Connections:The sister of Mary and Lazarus. They lived together in Bethany.
Interesting Facts about Martha:
- Martha welcomed Jesus and His disciples into her home.
- Martha became distracted by her serving so that it took her away from Jesus' teaching.
- She complained that her sister, Mary, didn't leave Jesus' teaching as well to come and help her serve.
- In the repetition of her name, "Martha, Martha", Jesus affectionately begins His rebuke of Martha.
- Martha loved Jesus, and she was loved by Jesus.
- She went to meet Jesus as He was coming to their house because of the death of her brother, Lazarus.
- Martha had faith that Jesus could have healed her brother.
- Martha had faith concerning her deceased brother Lazarus, and that whatever Jesus asked of God He would surely give it to Jesus.
- Martha believed in the resurrection at the last day.
- She confessed that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God, who had come into the world.
What We Can Learn from Martha:
- Open our hearts and our homes to the leadership of Jesus.
- Be hospitable to others.
- Do not become so busy with our serving or responsibilities that we neglect time alone in the Word of God.
- Time in the Word of God is needed for our spiritual growth.
- Serving and learning are both duties in the Christian life.
- All that we do in serving and learning should be in honor and glory to God.
- Jesus' delay in responding is not necessarily denial, but can be an opportunity for the display of the glory of God.
- Jesus knows the exact moment to display the power of God.
- We can trust Jesus with our cares, our sorrows, and our responsibilities.
In this fast-paced, busy world, I think we all can relate in some way to Martha. Finding a balance between learning and serving is something most of us struggle with if we're honest with ourselves. Let's remember to ask Jesus to help us. He's more than ready to answer our call for help in this area of our lives.
Walking in His Grace,
This #abcblogging challenge is being hosted by my friend, Marcy at Ben and Me. Click on the image below to read more Blogging Through the Alphabet posts. Enjoy!