Today I'd like to introduce to you the woman I chose for the letter B.
B is for Bathsheba.
Scripture References:2 Samuel 11:1-27; 12:1-24, 28-31; 1 Kings 1:21; 2:13-25; 1 Chronicles 3:5
Meaning of Name:The Seventh Daughter or The Daughter of an Oath. "Bath" means "Daughter."
Family Connection:The daughter of Eliam, who was the son of Ahithophel. Eliam was an officer of David's. Bathsheba was the wife of Uriah, considered one of the most loyal of David's mighty men.
Interesting Facts about Bathsheba:
- Bathsheba was the wife of one of David's main military officers.
- Unfortunately, she was a victim of David's unbridled lust. (Through my study I learned that there are two different opinions as to whether or not Bathsheba was a victim or a willing participate of David's advances towards her. I will leave that up to your opinion after personal study of the matter.)
- Bathsheba found grace to forgive David's sin against her.
- Bathsheba was able to discern David's positive qualities.
- Bathsheba went on to build a strong and lasting marriage with David, even after such a dreadful beginning in their relationship.
- Bathsheba was a strong advocate for Solomon, her son.
- Bathsheba won David's love and Solomon's gratitude through her actions that displayed Godly character.
What We Can Learn from Bathsheba:
- God's grace can heal those who have been severely wounded by others.
- We can choose to become better, not bitter, when hurt by others.
- Like Bathsheba, we can model courage and grace after the loss of a child.
- Those who have lost a child can hold on to hope for the future.
- Relationships are redeemable when the offender accepts responsibility and repents of their actions.
- People are redeemable when they express Godly sorrow over their sin.
|Willem Drost, Bathsheba with David's Letter, 1654 (Public Domain, Wikipedia)|
There is so much to learn in the story of David and Bathsheba! I hope you'll take the time to do your own study. I'll see you next Thursday as I introduce to you the woman I have chosen for the letter C.
Walking in His Grace,
See what my other blogging friends are posting in their Blogging Through the Alphabet series...just click on the image below...