G is for Gomer.
Scripture Reference:Hosea 1:1-11; 2; 3:1-5
Meaning of Name:Completion
Family Connections:The daughter of Diblaim; wife of the prophet Hosea; mother to Jezreel, Lo-Ruhamah, and Lo-Ammi
Interesting Facts About Gomer:
- Gomer was a harlot whom God commanded the prophet Hosea to marry.
- Gomer's marriage to Hosea was used by God as an analogy of Israel's relationship with God.
- Gomer was the mother of three children whose names where prophetic and given by God.
- She was deeply loved by her husband, Hosea.
- Gomer was unfaithful to Hosea as she continued to live the life of a harlot.
- It is believed that chapter 2 of Hosea records both the acts of the house of Israel's wickedness as well as Gomer's unfaithfulness to Hosea.
- Gomer eventually hits rock bottom when she is deserted by her latest lover and is put up for auction to be sold as a slave.
- Gomer is bought by Hosea who was commanded by God to buy her and love her even though she was an adulteress.
What We Can Learn From Gomer:
- God desires to be first in our lives.
- God never forgets us and never stops loving us.
- God's love reaches down into the depths of a sinful life to redeem the vilest of sinners.
- Do not throw away the love of God or the love of others.
- Sin will take you where you never thought you'd go and make you do what you never thought you'd be capable of.
- There are consequences in a life of sin - one of which may be the loss of your family.
- We can always come home to God and leave a life of sin behind us - a repentant heart is all that is needed.
- We need to recognize the blessings in our lives such as a loving husband and loving children.
- God continues to love and care for us even when we mess up.
- When we fail God, we must ask His forgiveness, and He will be faithful to forgive.
- Once enslaved to sin, Jesus has paid the price for our freedom and redeemed us by His sacrifice on the cross.
- Is there a Gomer in your life who has sinned against you and who is in need of your forgiveness and love?
- Do you need the love and forgiveness of God to wash over you as Gomer experienced with Hosea? Pray to God now and ask Him to forgive you and fill you with His love. He is faithful to meet you wherever you are at this moment, forgive you of your sins, and welcome you into His loving arms.
What a powerful testimony of God's love we find in the story of Hosea and Gomer! We all are some type of Gomer at one time in our lives...seeking our own sinful and self-centered desires instead of surrendering to God Who longs for us to leave our life of sin behind us in exchange for His faithful, eternal love. He is ever patient with us though, loving us while we are yet sinners, sending His own Son, Jesus, to pay the price for our sins so that we can be redeemed. Love has found us, He reaches out His hand to us, with a promise to take us Home and care for us for all of eternity. Praise God!
Walking in His Grace,
I'm #abcblogging with Marcy at Ben and Me (thanks, Marcy for hosting!). Click on the image below to read other posts from bloggers who are Blogging Through the Alphabet.